Friday, September 8, 2023

Ring My Bell

After waiting all summer, I finally got around to renovating and re-installing the garden bell. 

2021

The bell had been taken down when the new back porch was being built. Having the post-bell too close to the rain chain would have resulted in two vertical features competing for visual attention. So, it was decided to remove the post-bell.

However, after the porch was completed, and the rain chain installed, I struggled with finding a location within the garden where the bell could be re-installed. There simply was no place to put it. Its location had to make sense and fit in with the overall aesthetic of the garden, while simultaneously having a bell in a location where it might make sense to have a bell worth ringing.

After much thought, I decided to place it in the small island at the corner of the gazebo. 

I was worried that it would compete with the maple. Again, an over crowding issue. However, the maple is growing very slowly and I think I can trim the tree as needed. On the other hand, I would have to move the newly installed rock and plantings to make room for the post.

Having the bell in this location will help break up the harshness of the gazebo post, and being at the entrance of the gazebo might make it a place where one might want to ring a bell - for diner perhaps.

I followed a similar approach to the installation I conducted back in 2015


First, I had to replace the old post which had rotted. This time I added a post protector at the base. 


I also replaced the bell roofing with a PVC underlay that will not rot. The remainder of the roof is made of the newly sanded and re-stained pieces from the original, including the flowerettes.

I then replaced the stone and some temporary plantings at the base.


Its nice to see the bell back in the garden. 


Hearing its chime is soothing and its return helps contribute to this summer's rebirth of the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment