Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Threshold

I have decided to start planning a threshold for the Woodland Gate. I'm not sure what my final decision will be yet. It will depend on costs and esthetics, in that order (as usual, cost is always a factor).


I want something that looks more natural than using cut and symmetrical stone pavers. there are several style of pavers that are designed to look like natural stone. I also have access to a free stone source, but most of those stones are tumbled with round edges, not flat. Finding enough stones with at least one flat side could take some time and effort.

In the meantime, I have gone through a bunch of my photos from Japan and N. America to find some possible styles that I could try:







The three below are currently my favorites:


Yashiro - Olympia, WA

Portland Japanese Garden - Portland, OR

Bloedel Reserve - Bainbridge Island, WA

If I can find enough flat faced stones from my free source, I might go with the Bloedel style threshold.

No comments:

Post a Comment