Monday, August 31, 2026

Grass Multiplication

Three days ago, I was thinning the ferns in the Zen Garden when I decided to divide a White-variegated Japanese Forest Grass (Hakonechloa macra 'Albo-striata'). One large plant became three, and today I continued the process at two other locations where divisions from that same original plant have been growing.

I started with the plant positioned next to the rain chain on the back porch. 

Before Division

This planting is normally surrounded by black Mexican stone, which provides a beautiful contrast against the pale variegated foliage. This year, however, the grass had grown so large that most of the stone had disappeared from view. It had also begun to obstruct the passageway through the see-through fence, so it was clearly time to reduce its size.

After Division

Dividing established grasses can be challenging. Their dense, tightly packed root balls can be surprisingly difficult to cut through, particularly when the plant has been in place for several years. For large specimens like this, I have found that a power reciprocating saw is the most effective tool for cutting through the root ball and establishing clean divisions. A shovel can then be used to lift each section from the ground.

I divided this plant into four sections: one to be replanted in its original location and three to be placed in buckets for future use or donation to neighbors. 


Given how quickly these grasses establish themselves, those three divisions will eventually develop into substantial plants of their own.

This is one of the great benefits of investing in an expensive ornamental grass: with a little patience, you can create multiple new plants simply through division. What initially feels like an expensive purchase can eventually become a source of “free” plants for your own garden—and for friends and neighbors.

Once I finished with the first plant, I moved to the side of the house, where I had planted a small division several years ago to fill an empty space. That cutting had also matured into a sizable plant and was ready for division. 

Before Division

I have to be careful with this plant. It is close to the maple on the left, and I don't want to damage any of the tree roots (this tree really needs to move - too close to the house, no room to grow). When I finished with removal, I placed a much smaller remnant in its place to ensure that its future growth should not interfere too much with the maple's roots. 

After Division

When I finished, I had five new plants: one smaller division replanted in place and the remaining four placed in buckets. I know the replanted grass doesn't look so good, but it will thrive, and in a couple of years it will need to be divided again.


With both plants divided, my total is 10 bucketed divisions.

Unfortunately, I have run out of suitable locations on the property for additional Japanese Forest Grass. Rather than letting these divisions go to waste, I’ll overwinter them and, come spring, offer them for sale or donate them to neighbors.

Now that the grasses have been divided, it’s time to transition to Hosta. The Dragon’s Spine is overdue for some attention.

I can’t wait.