Tuesday, October 10, 2023

The Dragon Reborn

After finishing the new fence-screen in the Dragon Spine, it was time to replant the bed.

Initially I moved existing plants around, especially two large Astilbe which I moved back towards the fence posts. 

I am going to keep taller plants in the rear and lower plants in the front.

I've decided that I am going to fill the bed, especially in front of the Maple, with a variety of Hosta (Abiqua Drinking Gourd and some cuttings elsewhere from the garden), Heuchera ('Southern Comfort,' 'Timeless Night,' 'Caramel,' 'Sweet Tea'), and Brunnera ('Jack Frost,' SilverHeart'). 

As the forest behind the fence grows, the garden has increasingly become more shady, hence the need to move towards more shade tolerant plants.

I was able to acquire a significant amount of discounted plants from a nearby nursery that holds an annual "red wagon sale" (cram as much into a wagon for only $60). 

I picked up two loads (including a new Dwarf Maple and four Astilbe to be used elsewhere).


I attempted to plant pairs of plants, but I also want these to all grow in a way that eventually looks more natural. 

I was unable to get the type of Hosta I would like, so I am leaving some spaces open so that in the spring I will be able to add a few more variety. 

It may take a few years, but the plan is to just let them all grow and compete for space, at which point I will make some adjustments.

After adding a new layer of mulch (12 bags!), the bed is finally starting to look nice. 

The existing shrubs and trees look great with the black bamboo and cedar screen as back drops.



Even the small lantern/rock area received a new Heuchera Hybrid ('Southern Comfort')

In time, I think it will continue to improve. In the meantime, the entire garden, as seen from the second floor, looks awesome!


The Dragon Spine has now officially become a separate garden room of Songni Yuan, and its wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment