Friday, July 29, 2022

Slug Smoothie

I awoke this morning to start planting some of the new plants I purchased yesterday. However, I have become increasingly aware that there are many slugs in the garden, more than I have ever seen. So, I started my early morning by going on a slug hunt. My hope was that I could catch them in the early morning before they could retreat to their hiding places in the rocks and plants.

My plan was simple, use chopstick to pick them up and place them in a clear cup with a plastic lid. 

Over the years I have tried all the remedies that people suggest online and in books. None are effective. My problem is that the watering system keeps the garden moist most of the time, while the rocks in the garden make for great places to hide. Both make for the perfect slug breading ground. 

So chopsticks it is. Slugs are slimy and unpleasant to touch. Chopsticks work great, I can quickly grab them, even in tight places, and drop them into the cup. Nice and simple.

Remember to keep the lid handy, and tape any straw hole in the top to keep the slugs from getting out.

After collecting slugs fro about 30 minutes, I realized I was finding a lot. So many that the cup was becoming very full and heavy. Slugs kept trying to escape as I hunted, but I made sure to keep pushing them back down. However, I eventually ran out of room and had to start a second cup. 

Once a cup is full, I then place it in a bright sunny place and by the end of the day the slugs are melted and reduced to a liquid goo. 

I'm not about to win "Buddhist of the year," but my plants will appreciate my efforts. If I keep this up for a few days, dawn and dusk, and check frequently each week, I may be able to reduce the amount of damage being done to the plants in the garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment