Sunday, April 8, 2018

Spring Delayed

It's the first week of April, but it feels more like February. Spring isn't showing up early as hoped and the weather for the next couple of weeks looks like more of the same - cold and wet (with some snow in between).

In the meantime, I am getting ready for the Woodland Gate doors I was planning. First, I located an image of the style I liked:



 Next, I began making detailed plans and drawings for all the measurements:



NOTE: the plans above were altered when it came time to build the gate - 2" cedar boards were used all around and for all the rails except the center, which was a 3" rail. Keep in mind, the actual measurements were 1/4" less than the purchased widths. Making this change kept the final doors in proportion to the actual gate structure (see June 29, 2018 post).

I've already purchased the wood, and the one inch diameter bamboo poles I will be using for the face are ordered and should arrive within two weeks. Here it was I hope it looks like when done:



The plan is to use half-lap joints for the main frame. This should hold it together well, however, I am worried about using screws. I don't want to see them on the frame face and finding a short enough length could be an issue after joining the pieces to together with lap joints. I might use staples instead, combined with glue, that might work. I could also drill out holes for dowels - this might be a more authentic way to proceed since it won't require any screws. I will decide after I get all the pieces cut and dry fitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment