Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Late Addition

I've had this unusual little plant growing in a bucket on the porch for most of the summer. It was labeled as an Astilbe, but I'm convinced it is actually a Korean Dwarf Goat's Beard (Aruncus aethusifolius).


Its leaves are remarkably tiny, and it produced a small cream-colored flower in mid-summer. Throughout the season, it maintained a neat, tight, compact form, which made it an especially interesting addition to the porch.

As fall approaches, I'm beginning to thin out some of the plants that have either become too large, like the hostas, or too abundant, like the ferns. I decided this would be the perfect time to move the Korean Dwarf Goat's Beard into a small opening in the lower bed of the inner Zen garden.


A Hosta (Shadowland 'Autumn Frost') had occupied this spot since 2024 but had since grown too large for the space. I moved it to a newly cleared area near the west end of the bed, making room for the much smaller Goat's Beard.

 Hosta (Shadowland 'Autumn Frost') - newly relocated

I'm hopeful that the Korean Dwarf Goat's Beard will thrive in this shady location, which also receives some dappled sunlight. My only concern is that its delicate foliage might become a tempting meal for the slugs. Here's hoping it settles in nicely and becomes a charming addition to the Zen garden.