Thursday, June 4, 2026

Cream of the Crop

This year I planted a Dwarf Goatsbeard (Aruncus aethusifolius) along the top ridge of the walkway in the Zen Garden. I have always liked its creamy-white flowers and the finely textured foliage, which reminds me of astilbe. Over the years I've added several of these to the garden, but I especially appreciate the dwarf variety. Their compact size fits naturally into the smaller spaces between the stones and allows them to complement, rather than compete with, the surrounding plants.


One of the reasons I keep coming back to Dwarf Goatsbeard is its reliability. It performs well in the shade, requires very little maintenance, and, perhaps most importantly, is rarely bothered by deer or rabbits. It may not be the showiest plant in the garden, but its quiet beauty and dependable nature make it one of those plants I always enjoy seeing return each spring.