Sunday, August 9, 2020

Lighting the Way

I purchased a Kasuga-dōrō style lamp today and installed it in the stroll garden area of the garden. 


It is not an authentic lantern. It's made from a cement mold rather than more expensive hand carved granite. As usual, I am trying save some money. 

I think that over time it will look nice. As it accumulates lichen and some moss, and it weathers a bit, it should begin to look more interesting. Most people I know won't know the difference. 

I wanted to locate it in the garden in an area that is a bit hidden from the street view. 



I will most likely extend the fence next summer along the edge with the neighbor's white rail fence. Until then, I want to make the lantern something that people have to discover as they stroll across the stepping stones. 




So far, it looks very good. Even for a cement mold, it has some interest in its design and from afar looks like the real thing. 

 

Its a little short at three feet, but I don't want it to be big and out of proportion to the rest of the garden.


Best of all, I purchased this at a local plant and lanscape store for $138. A real granite lantern would have cost at least $700, way above my price range. So, I got a great deal and the lantern really adds to the viewing experience of the stroll garden. I am very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment